These shredded chicken tacos are bursting with Mexican flavor and cook right in the Instant Pot. It’s an easy, no-fuss meal that is sure to become a weeknight staple.
A few simple ingredients are all you need to throw this dish together. Your favorite taco fixings shredded cheese, white onion, and cilantro—help complete the meal. Add your favorite homemade or store-bought taco sauce or create a quick one by cooking down the liquid leftover in the pot and drizzling it on top. Whether you love authentic street tacos or prefer crunchy taco shells, you’ll love this juicy pulled chicken filling.
There are only two simple steps to making these tacos. It’s a foolproof recipe that anyone can handle and perfect for making ahead of time. Throw the ingredients in a slow cooker instead of an Instant Pot and set it on low before you go to work. When you get home you’ll have perfectly cooked meat that can be served in corn tortillas or with sides of Mexican rice, black beans, and guacamole.
- 1/2 pound chicken breasts
- 1 pound chicken thighs
- 1 small onion (roughly diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 chipotle peppers (canned, chopped)
- 8 to 10 corn tortillas
- For garnish: chopped white onion, chopped cilantro
Gather the ingredients.
Chop the onion into a small dice. Add the chicken breasts and thighs to the pot of the Instant Pot. Add the onion, garlic, olive oil, spices, and chipotle peppers to the pot. Toss all of the ingredients with the chicken to coat completely.
Cook the chicken on the meat setting for 30 minutes.
Allow the chicken to cool slightly and remove the chicken from the pot, leaving the cooking liquid behind, then shred the chicken. You can use two forks or even use a hand mixer. Just make sure your bowl is big enough.
You can reduce the cooking liquid with the sauté setting if you wish, then add it back to the chicken.
Top warmed corn tortillas with the pulled chicken, chopped cilantro, and chopped onion. Add taco sauce or a shredded cheese if you wish!
- Heat the corn tortillas over the flame of your stove for 5 to 10 seconds per side. This gives it a slight char, which adds great flavor and the heat makes them more flexible.
- You can use all chicken breast or all chicken thighs. We like the combination, but using one cut will also work.
- This recipe is also delicious with a pork roast. Use a Boston Butt or any other bone-in pork roast.