|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
See Full Nutritional Guidelines Hide Full Nutritional Guidelines
|Servings: serves 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 56g||72%|
|Saturated Fat 20g||102%|
|Total Carbohydrate 24g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)
- 5 pounds/2.3 g. pork shoulder roast (bone-in)
- For the Rub:
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL chili powder
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL salt
- For the Sauce:
- 1 cup/240 mL ketchup
- 1 cup/240 mL cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons/45 mL sugar
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL salt
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL black pepper (ground)
- Gather the ingredients.
- You will need 2 cups/475 mL hickory or mesquite chips, pre-soaked in water for 30 minutes
- To make the rub: combine rub ingredients in a small bowl. Coat pork roast thoroughly with mixture. Let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature before placing on the grill.
- Place pork on grill and cook over indirect medium heat for 4 to 5 hours, or until internal temperatures reach between 180-190 F/80 to 90 C. Make sure to turn roast every hour. Add wood chips to smoker box about halfway through cooking process. When roast in through cooking, take off grill, cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 20-30 minutes before shredding.
- To prepare sauce: Combine sauce ingredients plus 1 cup of water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and allow to simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Shred pork with two forks or your fingers. Make sure to discard any fatty pieces or burnt bits. Place meat in a large bowl and add some of the sauce to moisten it. Serve warm with buns or enjoy it plain.