This pumpkin lobster bisque is perfect as a starter course. Calabaza (West Indian pumpkin) is found throughout the islands and there are many recipes for pumpkin soups. Caribbean flavors shine in this luscious lobster bisque recipe. It’s a grand introduction to a Caribbean feast or makes a pleasing main course. If you can’t find West Indian pumpkin at your market, use a suitable winter squash such as butternut, Hubbard, or pie pumpkin.
- 4 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 lobster tail
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 1/4 pounds pumpkin (peeled, deseeded, chopped)
- 4 Roma tomatoes (peeled, deseeded, chopped)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup whole cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or as needed, for brushing)
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Garnish: 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro (or parsley, chopped)
- In a saucepan, bring the stock to a boil, add the lobster tail, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Don't over cook the lobster tail; it will become rubbery.
- Removed cooked lobster tail from the stock and allow it to cool. When cool enough to handle, remove the tail from the shell and set aside. Reserve the stock liquid.
- In another large saucepan, melt the butter and sauté the garlic and onions for about 5 minutes. Then, add the pumpkin and continue to cook until the pumpkin is soft - about 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, thyme and reserved stock. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and remove the thyme sprig. Using a food processor or blender, carefully grind the mixture into a rough puree. You can also use a hand masher to do this.
- Return the soup to the pan, and gently heat. Now, add the cream and salt and white pepper to taste.
- Lastly, cut the lobster tail into slices and brush with olive oil. Flash fry (sear) the tail on a griddle or in a frying pan.
- Serve by ladling the soup into a bowl, add a slice of lobster tail to each bowl, and garnish with cilantro or parsley.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|