The brown sugar, oat, and pecan crumble crust and topping gives these wonderful pumpkin bars plenty of flavor and crunch. Use pure pumpkin puree in the recipe, not pumpkin pie filling.
If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, I've included an easy homemade blend of spices below the recipe instructions.
- For the Crust and Topping Mixture:
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1/2 cup pecans (or walnuts, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- For the Filling:
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (16 ounce can)
- 1/2 cup milk (or evaporated milk)
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice *
- Heat the oven to 375 F.
- Butter a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Combine oats, flour, 3/4 cup of brown sugar, chopped pecans, salt, the baking soda, and the butter; mix until mixture is well blended and crumbly.
- Reserve about 1 1/2 cups of the crumb mixture and press the other half into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- Remove the crust to a rack and set aside.
Prepare the filling:
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the pumpkin with the milk, 1/3 cup of brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla, and spices until well blended and smooth.
- Spread the filling over the crust; sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- Return to oven and bake 25 minutes longer. The custard filling should be set and the topping browned.
- Cool and cut into bars.
*The following can be combined to make pumpkin pie spice for this recipe, or use our recipe for pumpkin pie spice to make a larger amount.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|