|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 12 to 16|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 28g||35%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||34%|
|Total Carbohydrate 67g||24%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This two-layer pumpkin cake is topped off perfectly with a fluffy cream cheese frosting and chopped pecans. The cake is spiced with a combination of ginger and cinnamon.
This moist, delicious cake would make a fabulous dessert for your Thanksgiving menu or bake it for a fall event or Halloween party. Make the cake ahead of time and freeze the layers—just see the tips below the recipe.
If you prefer a Bundt cake, take a look at this pumpkin pound cake with a maple glaze. Or, if you prefer a one layer cake, this pumpkin sheet cake with brown butter cream cheese frosting is a great choice.
- For the Cake:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups (9 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (or cooked mashed pumpkin, canned is fine)
- For the Frosting:
- 1 pound (about 3 3/4 cups before sifting) powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter (room temperature)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pecans (chopped)
Make the Cake
Gather the ingredients.
Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Heat the oven to 350 F / 180 C / Gas 4.
Combine the sugar, vegetable oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl; mix until smooth and well blended.
Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl and then stir to blend.
Add the dry ingredients to the eggs and oil mixture and beat until well blended. Add the pumpkin puree and blend well.
Pour the batter into two greased and floured 9-inch round layer cake pans.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
Cool in the pans on racks for about 10 minutes and then turn out onto racks to cool.
Make the Frosting
Gather the ingredients.
Sift the confectioners' sugar into a bowl.
In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
Add the sifted confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth.
Frost the pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting and sprinkle with the chopped pecans.
- To make ahead, bake the cake and cool the layers on the rack. Move the cooled cake layers to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze the layers until solid and then wrap in plastic wrap and foil. Freeze for up to 2 to 3 months.