This two layer pumpkin cake is topped off perfectly with a fluffy cream cheese frosting and chopped pecans. The cake is spiced with a combination of ginger and cinnamon.
This moist, delicious cake would make a fabulous dessert for your Thanksgiving menu, or bake it for a fall event or Halloween party. Make the cake ahead of time and freeze the layers. See the tips below the recipe.
If you prefer a Bundt cake, take a look at this pumpkin pound cake with a maple glaze. Or, if you prefer a one layer cake, this pumpkin sheet cake with brown butter cream cheese frosting is a great choice.
- For the Cake:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (9 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (ground)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (or cooked mashed pumpkin, canned is fine)
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 pound powdered sugar (about 3 3/4 cups before sifting)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Heat the oven to 350° F (180° C/Gas 4).
- Combine sugar, vegetable oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl; mix until smooth and well blended.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl and then stir to blend. Add the dry ingredients to the eggs and oil mixture and beat until well blended. Add the pumpkin puree and blend well.
- Pour the batter into two greased and floured 9-inch round layer cake pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool in the pans on racks for about 10 minutes and then turn out onto racks to cool.
- Frost the pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting (directions below) and sprinkle with the chopped pecans.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Sift the confectioners' sugar into a bowl.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer beat the 1/4 cup of butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Add the sifted confectioners' sugar and 2 teaspoons of vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Bake the cake and cool the layers on the rack. Move the cooled cake layers to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze the layers until solid and then wrap in plastic wrap and foil. Freeze for up to 2 to 3 months.
- Remove the cake from the freezer, unwrap it, and then thaw, frost, and serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||28 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|