This easy cake is made with a cake mix, then it's topped off with a delicious, easy-to-prepare mixture of butter, coconut, brown sugar, and pecans.
- For the Cake:
- 1 box yellow cake mix (18.25 ounces)
- 1 can pumpkin (15 ounces, solid pack)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (such as corn oil or canola)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
- 1/4 cup whole milk (or half-and-half)
- For the Topping:
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (packed light)
- 1/2 cup pecans (chopped)
- 2/3 cup sweetened coconut (flaked)
- 4 tablespoons cream (or half-and-half, or evaporated milk)
Gather the ingredients.
Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan.
Heat the oven to 350 F.
In a mixing bowl combine the cake mix, pumpkin, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, the eggs, vegetable oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/4 cup of milk or half-and-half.
Beat on medium speed, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl frequently, until smooth and blended.
Beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the cake springs back lightly when touched with a finger.
Meanwhile, combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl, stirring until blended.
Spread the topping over the warm cake and broil about 4 to 6 inches from the heat source for about 3 minutes, or until the topping is bubbly and browned.