This irresistible top-rated pumpkin cake roll is filled with a scrumptious cream cheese filling. It's a very popular holiday cake, and one taste will tell you why.
Make two pumpkin roll cakes and keep individual slices wrapped in the freezer; bring some out when friends and family stop by. This is the perfect fall or winter holiday cake! This is one of our most popular pumpkin recipes.
Dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar just before slicing and serving.
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree (canned solid pack or homemade)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (3 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (ground)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1 cup chopped pecans
- For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 5 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (plus more for sprinkling)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350° F (180° C/Gas 4). Grease a 10-by-15-inch jelly roll pan and line it with waxed paper. Grease and flour the waxed paper.
- Place a kitchen tea towel (not terry cloth) on the counter and sprinkle it liberally with powdered sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, lightly beat the eggs. Gradually add the sugar; beat until thick and light yellow in color. This will take about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the pumpkin and lemon juice and beat on low speed until blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, spices and salt. Add to egg mixture, mixing well. Spread batter into the prepared jelly roll pan. If desired, sprinkle chopped pecans over the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 12 to 15 minutes. The cake will spring back when touched lightly with a finger. Remove the cake from the oven and immediately turn out onto the sugared tea towel. Carefully remove the waxed paper. Starting at the 10- inch side, roll the warm cake up, towel and all.
- While cake is cooling in the towel, prepare the cream cheese filling. Sift the powdered sugar into a small bowl and set aside. Beat together cream cheese and butter until fluffy; gradually beat in the sifted powdered sugar and vanilla; continue beating until the mixture is smooth.
- Carefully unroll the cooled cake. Evenly spread the cream cheese filling over the cake. Roll the cake up -- without the towel -- and wrap it in plastic wrap. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Slice the cake into 1-inch thick pieces for serving. Keep leftover slices refrigerated.
Tip: The pumpkin roll freezes well. Wrap the whole cake or individual slices in plastic wrap and then put the slices in a heavy-duty freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|