These delicious soft pumpkin cookies are topped with a simple caramel icing. The icing is made with powdered sugar and a little caramel or butterscotch ice cream topping. Sprinkle the tops with a little cinnamon before the icing sets, or sprinkle with a cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (11 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 stick butter (4 ounces, softened)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For the Icing:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- 4 tablespoons caramel sauce
- 4 teaspoons milk (plus more, as needed)
- In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Blend well.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer, beat the granulated and brown sugars with 8 tablespoons of softened butter until light and creamy. Beat in the pumpkin puree, egg, and vanilla. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture; increase mixer speed and beat until smooth and well blended. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment or silicone baking mats.
- Drop chilled cookie dough by rounded tablespoon or cookie scoop onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until edges begin to brown. Cool slightly then remove to racks to cool completely.
- Spread or drizzle the icing (instructions below) on the cooled cookies.
- If desired, sprinkle the cookies lightly with ground cinnamon or cinnamon-sugar.
Prepare the Icing
- Combine the 3 tablespoons of softened butter, confectioners' sugar, caramel topping, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 4 teaspoons of milk in a bowl. Beat on low speed of electric mixer until blended. Increase to medium-high and beat until creamy, adding a little more milk, as needed for spreading or drizzling.
Makes about 3 1/2 to 4 dozen cookies.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|