Pumpkin fever is in the air! It starts before summer is even over and journeys all the way until Thanksgiving. What better way to start a fall morning, than with a pumpkin spice flavored breakfast? These pumpkin cream cheese muffins are a super easy breakfast treat. They have all of the delicious pumpkin spice flavor, along with a creamy, sweet cream cheese center.
I like using organic pumpkin puree, but any pumpkin puree will do. I don't think it's worth it to roast your own pumpkin, but you totally can if you are up for it!
Pumpkin Spice Scones are a second favorite of mine. You can serve both of these delicious baked goods at your next fall brunch! The muffins are also a perfect treat for house guests or anyone in need of a sweet pick me up.
You can also spice up these muffins with chopped nuts, a streusel topping, or just a little powdered sugar. You can also use pumpkin pie filling instead of the puree and pumpkin pie spice!
- 6 tablespoons butter (unsalted, melted)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (unbleached)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Line a muffin tin with paper baking cups. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Make sure to let the butter cool slightly after you have melted it. Combine it with the sour cream, whole milk, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, and egg in a measuring cup. Beat the ingredients until completely combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt to a mixing bowl. Stir until it is combined.
- Gently fold in the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Be really careful to not over mix. Just make sure there aren't any dry ingredients left in the bowl.
- Use a small ice cream scoop or rubber spatula to scoop the batter into the paper lined muffin tins, fill to about 1/2 of the way full.
- Mix together the softened cream cheese and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Roll a small ball of the cream cheese mixture and place on top of the batter in the muffin tin, repeat until each muffin well has a ball of cream cheese. Cover the cream cheese with muffin batter until completely covered.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|