|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Total Carbohydrate 22g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These pumpkin cake-like "brownies" are made extra special with swirls of cream cheese batter throughout. This makes a fantastic autumn dessert, perfect for the holidays or when you are craving the flavors of fall.
A simple batter of flour, pumpkin puree, eggs, butter, sugar, and warm spices is swirled with a sweet cream cheese mixture before baking, creating a delicious and pretty-looking dessert.
- For Pumpkin Brownie:
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- For Cream Cheese Swirl:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons flour
Make the Brownie
Gather the ingredients.
Butter and flour an 11 by 7-inch baking pan. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
In a large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the softened butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in the vanilla and eggs until light and creamy. Beat in the pumpkin puree.
In another bowl, whisk together the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until well blended.
Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan.
Make the Cream Cheese Swirl
Gather the ingredients.
In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, egg, vanilla, and flour. Beat for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
Finish and Bake the Brownies
Spoon the cream cheese mixture onto the pumpkin batter. Using a small narrow spatula or butter knife, swirl the cream cheese batter into the pumpkin batter.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Set the pan on a rack to cool, then turn out onto a cutting board and cut into squares.
Make sure to use pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling. These two canned pumpkin products are made from pureed squash, but whereas the pumpkin puree is 100 percent vegetable, the pie filling contains added sweeteners.
- If a brownie isn't a brownie without chocolate, feel free to add some chocolate chips to the top before baking.
- For some added flavor, drizzle the warm brownies with a little bit of pure maple syrup.
- You can bake these pumpkin swirl brownies in muffin tins filled with paper liners. Keep in mind that they will not puff up like a muffin or cupcake since these are more like brownies, but they will make for a nice presentation.