These moist pumpkin date muffins get extra texture from the oats, and the simple streusel topping makes them special.
We used about 1 1/2 cups of chopped dates (about 8 ounces) in the muffins, but use part pecans or walnuts if you like. Raisins or cranberries would work as well.
- 1 cup/4 1/2 ounces flour (all-purpose)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups dates (chopped)
- 1 cup rolled oats (old-fashioned)
- For the Streusel Topping:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon rolled oats
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 375 F/190 C/Gas 5. Grease 10 to 12 muffin cups or line with paper liners.
In a mixing bowl, combine the 1 cup of flour, the 1/2 cup of brown sugar, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg, and baking soda. Blend well with a spoon or whisk.
In another bowl, whisk the egg with the pumpkin, vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla. Blend well.
Pour the pumpkin mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until blended. Stir in the dates and 1 cup of rolled oats.
Scoop about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of batter into each muffin cup, filling each about two-thirds full.
Make the Streusel Topping: In a small bowl combine the 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/3 cup of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of flour, and 1 tablespoon of oats. With a fork, mix until well blended and crumbly.
Sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the tops of the muffins.
Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and cool for about 5 minutes in the pan. Remove the muffins to a rack to cool.
Serve warm or cold, plain or with a lightly sweetened honey or maple cream cheese spread or butter.