A crunchy high-protein cabbage and pumpkin seed cole slaw salad with a Thai peanut sauce-inspired dressing made of peanut butter, sesame oil and soy sauce. If you want an alternative to the traditional mayonnaise-based cole slaw recipes, this is a good one to try, and the added pumpkin seeds give it a nice protein boost, which is perfect for vegetarians and vegans.
Make it compatible with the slow carb diet requirements by omitting the honey, or make it fully vegan by replacing the honey with agave nectar. This recipe is vegetarian, vegan if you omit the honey, and gluten-free if you replace the soy sauce with tamari (or another soy sauce substitute such as coconut aminos or Bragg's liquid aminos).
Recipe and photo courtesy of SuperSeedz.
- 8 ounces pumpkin seeds
- 1 head of green cabbage, chopped
- 3 Carrots, grated
- 6 Scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup of honey (or agave nectar)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce (or use tamari to make it gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (softened or at room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped green cabbage, carrots and scallions, tossing gently to mix.
- In a food processor or blender, add the honey or agave nectar, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and process until smooth.
- Toss the dressing with the cabbage mixture and sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top.
- Enjoy your Thai-inspired cole slaw with pumpkin seeds!
More Vegan Cole Slaws
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||41 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||19 g|
|Dietary Fiber||19 g|