|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This simple vegetarian and vegan white bean soup recipe is made with all fresh ingredients, but you'll have to make your own vegetable broth if you want it to be truly all fresh. Using a homemade vegetable broth will also make this recipe gluten-free as well as vegetarian and vegan.
- 1 cup dried cannellini beans (or you can use two 15-ounce cans)
- Water for soaking beans
- 4 tablespoon olive oil (divided)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 large stalk celery (chopped)
- 1 sprig parsley (fresh)
- 1 sprig thyme (fresh)
- 1 sprig rosemary (fresh)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or vegetarian chicken-flavored broth)
- Sea salt or kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or juice from 1/2 a lemon)
Put the beans and water in a bowl and soak overnight.
Drain the beans and set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Add the beans, celery, parsley, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, and pepper.
Stir in the stock and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat, cover the pot, and allow to gently simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
Add the salt and allow to cool slightly.
Purée the soup in a food processor, return to the pot, reheat but do not boil, then add the lemon juice and the remaining olive oil just before serving.