This simple vegetarian and vegan white bean soup recipe is made with all fresh ingredients, but you'll have to make your own vegetable broth if you want it to be truly all fresh. Using a homemade vegetable broth will also make this recipe gluten-free as well as vegetarian and vegan.
I've recently started using more and more fresh beans in cooking, rather than canned. No, I didn't suddenly have a huge ton of more free time, I've just started planning ahead a bit better, and have made reducing my food budget more of a priority.
Yes, time is money, but I've started cooking fresh meals, such as this white bean soup recipe using dried instead of canned beans, when I have the time. At dinner time, I don't have time, but I do have time later in the evening, and then I can pack it up and have a freshly made soup for lunch the next day. Goodbye canned foods, packaging, and added salt and ingredients!
- 1 cup dried cannellini beans (or you can use two 15-ounce cans)
- Water for soaking beans
- 4 tablespoon olive oil (divided)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 large stalk celery (chopped)
- 1 sprig parsley (fresh)
- 1 sprig thyme (fresh)
- 1 sprig rosemary (fresh)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or vegetarian chicken-flavored broth)
- Sea salt or kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or juice from 1/2 a lemon)
- Put the beans and water in a bowl and soak overnight.
- Drain the beans and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the beans, celery, parsley, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, and pepper.
- Stir in the stock and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover the pot, and allow to gently simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt and allow to cool slightly.
- Purée the soup in a food processor, return to the pot, reheat but do not boil, then add the lemon juice and the remaining olive oil just before serving.
Like this high-protein white bean soup recipe? Here are a few more vegetarian soups you might want to try:
- Tuscan chickpea and sun-dried tomato soup recipe
- Three-bean and pasta soup recipe
- 7 simple vegetarian crockpot soup recipes
- The vegetarian soup image gallery: Pictures, pictures, pictures
- Caribbean black bean and plantain soup recipe
See also: 11 vegetarian bean soup recipes to try
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||13 g|