In her Passover by Design cookbook, Susie Fishbein, author of the popular Kosher by Design series, calls this salad, with its "beautiful combination of colors and textures," contributed by her friend Beth Eidman, "a treasure." It's best when the flavors have a chance to meld, so take Fishbein's advice to make it at least an hour in advance.
Recipe Testing Notes and Tips
If you don't have pareve chicken soup mix on hand (or prefer to skip the MSG that's in many kosher consomme powders), you can omit it. You may want to add an extra pinch or two of salt if you skip the soup powder, but taste the salad first -- you may not miss it, especially after it has had a chance to marinate.
Make it a Meal
This salad makes a nice side year round, but if you want to keep things Passover-friendly (or just gluten-free), try serving it as an accent to this easy Apricot Lime Chicken, Potato, and Broccoli Sheet Pan Dinner. Vegetarian? Pair the salad with this Quinoa With Arugula, Butternut Squash and Citrus Vinaigrette and an omelette. For a post meat-meal dessert, opt for these pareve Chocolate Hazelnut Stuffed Dates. If you stick to a vegetarian menu, enjoy some Gluten-Free Fudge Brownies (they contain butter, so are a kosher no-go after a chicken dinner.).
Recipe reprinted with permission from Passover by Design: Picture Perfect Kosher by Design Recipes for the Holiday by Susie Fishbein, Mesorah Publications.
- For the Salad
- 16 ounces cabbage (purple, shredded)
- 1/3 cup scallions (chopped)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3 carrots (julienned, or 1 (8-ounce) bag shredded carrots)
- 1 11-ounce can mandarin oranges (reserving liquid)
- 1 to 2 handfuls dried cranberries (can be sweetened kind)
- For the Dressing
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (fine sea salt)
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon juice (from reserved mandarin orange liquid)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon chicken consomme powder (parve)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place the cabbage, scallions, pine nuts, carrots, oranges and cranberries into a large ziplock bag. Set aside.
- In a jar or cruet, mix the brown sugar, pepper, salt, vinegar, reserved liquid from the oranges, oil, consomme powder, and garlic powder. Close and shake until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour over the salad. Refrigerate to let the flavors mix for at least 1 hour. Can prepare early in the day.
Passover by Design, by Susie Fishbein. Recipe reprinted with permission from Mesorah Publications.