This quatre quarts cake recipe makes a tender loaf, and features small, moist crumbs that hold together nicely for easy slicing and serving. This is the classic version of French pound cake, using only a touch of vanilla for subtle flavor. Feel free to sprinkle chopped nuts and dried fruit into the batter for your own delicious, signature cake recipe.
- 3 large eggs, separated
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 10-inch bundt cake pan and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the egg yolks, sugar, butter, and vanilla.
- Stir in the vanilla and flour, and then carefully fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 – 50 minutes, until it tests done.
- Cool the pound cake in the pan for 10 minutes, shake it gently to loosen it, and then transfer the cake to a wire rack for complete cooling.
This classic quatre quarts cake recipe makes 10 servings.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|