|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||39%|
|Total Carbohydrate 20g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|Total Sugars 8g|
|Vitamin C 8mg||38%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Chicken Parmesan is a great choice for an everyday family meal. Cooking the whole dish in a skillet on the stovetop means there's no need to dirty a baking dish, making for easy cleanup. Plus, there's no hot oven to contend with, making it an excellent main dish to enjoy any time of the year.
Chicken Parmigiana is another name for chicken Parmesan. The dish is thought to have been inspired by the Italian dish melanzane alla Parmigiana (eggplant Parmesan). Chicken Parmesan is a popular dish that can be found on most Italian-American restaurant menus along with lasagne, spaghetti and meatballs, and fettuccine alfredo.
Purchased spaghetti sauce makes it extra-easy, but feel free to use your favorite homemade sauce. Serve chicken Parmesan over hot, cooked spaghetti or linguine for a satisfying family dinner everyone will love. Salads and bread are great with chicken Parmesan, or you might serve it with a vegetable side dish like steamed broccoli.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs, Italian-style, garlic, or Parmesan seasoned
2 tablespoons butter
1 (16-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce, or 1 1/2 to 2 cups homemade
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded, or more
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
Gather the ingredients.
Pat the chicken breasts dry and put them between two pieces of plastic wrap or in a food storage bag. Pound gently to flatten for even cooking.
Add the egg to one shallow bowl or deep plate and the breadcrumbs to another. Dip a chicken breast into the egg to coat then into crumbs to coat. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the chicken pieces on both sides. Add the spaghetti sauce, bring to a simmer, and reduce the heat to low.
Cover the skillet and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
Cover and simmer 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
- To flatten a chicken breast, either place it between two sheets of plastic wrap or in a food storage bag. Gently pound it with the flat side of a meat mallet until it is uniform in thickness. If the chicken breasts are quite large, slice them in half horizontally to make two cutlets and then gently flatten them.
- Make it ahead: Bread and cook the chicken and simmer in the sauce. Refrigerate the chicken and sauce in a covered container. When ready to eat (within 2 days), transfer to a skillet. Cover and cook over low heat until hot. Add the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Like more sauce with your pasta? You can easily double the amount sauce or use a larger jar.
- Cheese can be scaled up as well. Instead of 1/2 cup of mozzarella, finish the dish with 1 cup of mozzarella and extra Parmesan.
- Use arrabbiata-style sauce or add a dash of crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce mixture.
- Top the browned chicken with sautéed peppers and onions before topping with cheese.