- 1 cup uncooked rice (long-grain)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (chuck or round)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup bell pepper (green or red, chopped)
- 15 ounces black beans (1 can, drained and rinsed)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce (1 can)
- 1 cup sweet corn (use canned, drained or frozen, thawed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- Dash garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (fresh, chopped)
- Garnish: Cheddar cheese (shredded, or Mexican blend of cheeses)
- Garnish: chopped cilantro or green onions
- Cook the rice as directed on the package; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef and onion until beef is no longer pink; add bell pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes longer.
- to the beef, add the beans, tomato sauce, corn, salt and pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin. Stir in the 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro. Add the cooked rice and blend well.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared casserole.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Top with the shredded cheese and cook for 5 minutes longer, or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with more chopped cilantro or chopped green onions, if desired.
Serve with a tossed salad and cornbread.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||16 g|
(The nutrition information on our recipes is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. Individual results may vary.)