|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||19%|
|Total Carbohydrate 79g||29%|
|Dietary Fiber 16g||57%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This ground beef casserole is a quick-fix meal your family will love. The Tex-Mex flavors include cumin, chili powder, and chopped cilantro.
Serve this tasty casserole with hot freshly baked cornbread for a delicious everyday meal.
- 1 cup uncooked rice (long-grain)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (chuck or round)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup bell pepper (green or red, chopped)
- 15 ounces black beans (1 can, drained and rinsed)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce (1 can)
- 1 cup sweet corn (use canned, drained or frozen, thawed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- Dash garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (fresh, chopped)
- Garnish: cheddar cheese (shredded, or Mexican blend of cheeses)
- Garnish: chopped cilantro or green onions
Cook the rice as directed on the package; set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole.
In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef and onion until beef is no longer pink; add bell pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes longer.
To the beef, add the beans, tomato sauce, corn, salt and pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin. Stir in the 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro. Add the cooked rice and blend well.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared casserole.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Top with the shredded cheese and cook for 5 minutes longer, or until cheese is melted.
Garnish with more chopped cilantro or chopped green onions, if desired.
- Serve with a tossed salad and cornbread.