|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 ring cake (16 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||9%|
|Total Carbohydrate 48g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Many banana bread recipes called for mashed ripe bananas, which gives the bread a moist, slightly dense texture. In this recipe, the banana is pureed in the blender with the other wet ingredients, and the resulting banana bread has a more uniform cake-like texture. The bread/cake is topped with sugar and chopped nuts for an extra bit of sweetness and crunch - a quicker alternative to the caramelized bananas that are popular on Brazilian-style banana cake.
This recipe makes enough batter for a large ring pan, bundt pan, or angel food cake pan, or two regular bread pans, or about 25 large muffins.
Serve this bread for breakfast, or enjoy a slice with a cup of coffee or tea in the afternoon.
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 4 to 5 bananas (very ripe)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup walnuts (finely chopped, or pecans)
- 1/4 cup coarse sugar (sanding sugar)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Grease and lightly flour the ring pan (or bread pan). If making muffins, line the wells of the muffin pan with paper liners. Rreheat the oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Place the sugar, the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder, and the salt in a large mixing bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Place the bananas, the vegetable oil, the vanilla, the water, and the buttermilk in a blender and process until mixture is well blended and smooth.
- Pour the blender mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until well mixed. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Sprinkle the chopped nuts and the sugar evenly over the top of the cake.
- Place the cake in the oven and bake until it has risen well, is browned on top, and springs back lightly to the touch, about 45-50 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of the banana bread should come out clean.