This broccoli and cheese dish is a quick and easy way to jazz up fresh broccoli, and it takes just minutes to prepare and cook.
I like the buttery toasted almonds from the microwave, but you can cut back on some of the fat by dry-toasting them in a skillet. Instructions for both methods are below the recipe.
- 1 1/2 lbs broccoli (fresh)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese ( or a cheddar blend, shredded)
- 1/4 cup almonds (slivered)
- Optional: 2 to 3 teaspoons butter if toasting almonds in the microwave
- Trim the broccoli and lightly pare any large stems. Cut the stems lengthwise in quarters. Separate very large florets. Rinse well.
- Put the broccoli in a saucepan with about 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the thickest stems are tender. Remove from heat and drain well.
- In a serving dish, layer the hot drained broccoli with the shredded cheese and toasted almonds. See instructions for toasting the slivered almonds below.
How To Toast Slivered Almonds
Skillet: Put the slivered almonds in a dry skillet and cook over medium heat. Keep moving and turning the almonds until they are browned and aromatic. This will take 2 to 3 minutes.
Microwave: Put the almonds in a microwave safe dish with 2 to 3 teaspoons of butter. Microwave on 100% power for about 3 minutes, stirring a few times during cooking time.
Tips and Variations
Layer the broccoli, cheese, and almonds in a baking dish. Top it with an extra 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and place it under the broiler for a few minutes, or just until the cheese has melted.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|