|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||12%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These cinnamon rolls are easier than traditional cinnamon rolls because they're made without yeast and don't require any rising time. Dottie's cinnamon rolls are made with self-rising flour. If you don't have it, here's how you can make it with all-purpose flour, baking powder, and a little salt.
The easy pastry is a sweet biscuit-like dough filled with a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon, and soft butter. Raisins and pecans are included in the ingredients list but they're optional.
- 1/4 cup (plus 1 1/2 teaspoons) shortening
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter (or margarine, softened)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Optional: 3/4 cup pecans (chopped)
- Optional: 1/2 cup raisins
- For the Vanilla Glaze:
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar (sift)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 375° F (190° C/Gas 5). Butter a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
Cut shortening into flour with pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 1 cup of milk, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly, about 3 to 5 times.
Roll the dough into a 20-by-14-inch rectangle; spread the softened butter on dough, leaving a border of about 1/2-inch.
Combine the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl; mix well. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the butter. Top with pecans and raisins, if using.
Beginning at long side, roll up jelly-roll fashion; press edges and ends together securely.
Cut the roll into 1-inch slices; place cut side down in the prepared baking pan. Bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes.
Combine the powdered sugar with the 3 tablespoons of milk and the vanilla; drizzle over warm rolls.
- How to Freeze These Cinnamon Rolls - Prepare the cinnamon rolls following the recipe and arrange them in the greased pan. Put them in the freezer, pan and all, until they are frozen solid. Remove the rolls from the pan and transfer them to a freezer bag, removing as much air as possible. Store them in the freezer for up to 2 months. To bake, take as many out as you want and arrange them in a buttered baking dish. Let them stand at room temperature for 19 to 15 minutes. Bake at 375° F (190° C/Gas 5) for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Make the recipe for vanilla glaze (above) and drizzle over the rolls while they're still warm.
You Might Also Like