Since wheat-based flour is typically used as a thickener for gravies, Thanksgiving and other occasions when gravy is a staple are tricky for those following a gluten-free diet. The good news is that gluten-free turkey gravy is easy to make and just as delicious as wheat-based gravy.
This recipe is a staple for gluten-free Thanksgiving menus, but it's just as enjoyable in July served with grilled turkey. In just minutes with simple ingredients, you can have a gravy anyone at the dinner table can enjoy.
Try using sweet rice flour, sometimes called "sushi" rice flour, for thickening gravies and soups for excellent results. As an alternative, you can use gluten-free cornstarch instead.
In addition to using the juices and drippings from the turkey pan, you can use either milk or white wine to enhance the flavor of this turkey gravy.
- When the roasted turkey is done cooking, pour pan juices into a 2-cup measuring cup or bowl.
- Use a spatula to scrape flavorful pan dripping into the cup or bowl.
- When fat rises to the top of the cup, skim off 1/4 cup of fat and pour in a medium skillet or saucepan. Discard any remaining fat.
- Mix cornstarch with 1/2 cup water or white wine. Stir until smooth and dissolved.
- Add remaining pan juices to fat in the skillet.
- Whisk dissolved cornstarch in the pan and cook over medium heat while continuing to whisk for about 5 minutes, until thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Cook's Note: Gradually sprinkle in more sweet rice flour if needed to get the amount of thickness you are looking for. If you are using cornstarch for thickening, add more by first whisking two tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water. This is called making a "slurry" and will prevent the cornstarch from clumping when added to the hot gravy. Gradually whisk into the gravy to desired thickness.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|