|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This tasty quinoa, tuna, and chickpea salad recipe is a firm favorite in my household.
Fluffy quinoa is tossed with canned tuna, chickpeas, baby spinach, cilantro, mint, celery, spring onions and baby tomatoes. The dressing is a combination of extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. The flavors are wonderful and with all of that protein, the salad easily makes a meal in itself.
- For the Dressing:
- 1 medium clove garlic (grated)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (extra-virgin)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- Pinch sea salt
- For the Salad:
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 7 ounces/200 ml water-packed tuna (1 can, drained)
- 2 cups baby spinach (loosely packed)
- 14 ounces/400 ml chickpeas (1 can, rinsed & drained)
- 1/3 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup cilantro (coriander leaves, chopped)
- 1/3 cup mint (chopped)
- 2 spring onions (finely sliced)
- 8 cherry tomatoes (or baby tomatoes, quartered)
To make the dressing: In a small bowl, mix together grated garlic clove, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt. Set aside.
To make the salad: Place quinoa in a small, heatproof bowl. Cover with 1 cup of boiling water and soak for 5 minutes. Use a sieve to drain it and then give the quinoa a good wash under cold, running water. Run your fingers through it while you wash it.
Place quinoa in a small saucepan and add 1 cup of water and 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the water has been absorbed. Remove quinoa from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes with a lid on.
Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the tuna, spinach, chickpeas, celery, cilantro, mint, spring onions and baby tomatoes.
Fluff the quinoa gently with a fork and then add to the salad ingredients. Add the dressing and then stir well to coat the ingredients.
Divide salad between 2 large bowls and serve.