These raisin bars are made with a variety of spices and chopped nuts. Use golden or dark raisins in this recipe.
The included icing is drizzled over the cooled bars. Or sift powdered sugar over the bars if you prefer.
- 1 cup raisins (golden or dark)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed, light or dark)
- 1 large egg (slightly beaten)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- dash ground cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Optional: 1 cup powdered sugar
- Optional: a few drops of vanilla extract
- Optional: 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Heat the oven to 375 F (190 C/Gas 5).
- Grease and flour a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Combine raisins and water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in oil; cool to lukewarm.
- Stir the brown sugar and beaten egg into the cooled mixture.
- Combine the flour, salt, soda, and spices in a bowl; whisk to blend thoroughly.
- With a wooden spoon, beat the dry mixture into the raisin mixture. Stir in chopped nuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 24 minutes.
- Cool in pan and drizzle with icing, if using.
- Combine the confectioners' sugar with a few drops of vanilla and 2 to 3 tablespoons of milk, or enough to make a drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle the icing over the bars.
- Alternatively, dust the bars with sifted confectioners' sugar
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|