This is a brown sugar spice cake recipe with raisins. Also known as a boiled spice cake. It's an old-fashioned favorite.
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a saucepan, combine raisins and water.
- Cook until raisins are plump. Reserving 2/3 cup of cooking liquid, drain and set raisins aside.
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, soda, eggs, and reserved cooking liquid.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk mixture to creamed mixture.
- Stir in the cooked raisins.
- Pour into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool raisin cake on a wire rack.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|