This savory seasoned combination of vegetables is easy to prepare. Serve this well-seasoned side dish with grilled, roasted, or broiled meat, fish, or poultry.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic (coarsely chopped)
- 1 medium onion (halved and thinly sliced)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces each, with juice)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups bell pepper (red, yellow, and green, cut in 1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (coarsely chopped, about 12 large leaves)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash oregano (dried)
- 3 small zucchini (halved lengthwise then sliced)
- Optional: Parmesan cheese (fresh shredded)
- Peel eggplant and cut in 1-inch cubes; put in a colander and sprinkle with the salt. Let stand in the sink for about 20 to 30 minutes to drain.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until onion is tender. Add the tomatoes, bell peppers, basil, pepper, and oregano.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Add zucchini and eggplant; cover and continue simmering for 10 to 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Taste and add salt, if needed.
Serve with fresh shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|