|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 3 dozen pieces (serves 9)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||26%|
|Total Carbohydrate 22g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This recipe for creamy raw coconut ‘candy” utilizes organic coconut cream* which is then lightly sweetened and flavored. The variations on this recipe are almost endless and limited only by your imagination. We have included several of them here, including three citrus flavors, chai spice, vanilla nut and chocolate. Coconut lovers will appreciate the melt in your mouth texture of these little sweetmeats, which contain all the dense nutrients that coconut offers.
Warm the coconut cream in a bowl or pan of hot water until it reaches a consistency that can be stirred.
Add the honey, vanilla extract, and salt and blend until very smooth.
Scoop and press the mixture into small candy molds. Alternatively, shape the coconut into small logs and roll in coconut, then in plastic or in parchment paper, or scoop into small balls and roll in coconut.
Chill until very firm and pop the confections out of the molds or slice the logs into medallions. Store the candies in an airtight container in the refrigerator or at a very cool room temperature.
*Coconut cream (otherwise known as coconut manna or butter) is a fat-rich blend of unsweetened whole coconut and is similar to almond, peanut or other nut butter. It is NOT to be mistaken for commercial canned cream of coconut, which contains sulfites, water, sugar, and preservatives.
- Vanilla Nut: Add 2/3 cup raw or toasted pecans, almonds, macadamia nuts, pistachios or walnuts (chopped fairly fine).
- Lemon: Add 4 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 teaspoon lemon zest. Reduce the vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon.
- Orange: Add 3 tablespoons orange juice and 2 teaspoons orange zest. Reduce the vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon.
- Lime: Add 3 tablespoons lime juice and 2 teaspoons lime zest. Reduce the vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon.
- Chai Spice: Add 1 ½ teaspoons chai spice and optional chopped walnuts, pecans or pistachio nuts to taste.
- Chocolate: Add ½ cup sifted raw cacao powder and blend thoroughly. Stir in a bit of coconut oil if needed to achieve a smooth texture. Add 2/3 cup chopped almonds, pecans, walnuts, pistachios or macadamia nuts if desired.
- Chocolate Dipped: Melt dark chocolate and dip any of the above flavors into the chocolate once they have hardened. Alternatively, drizzle with a zigzag pattern. Let set until the chocolate is firm.