This colorful, tangy relish is fantastic alongside holiday side dishes and a refreshing change from the usual cooked cranberry sauce. The orange is a classic flavor pairing with cranberry, and the apple adds a nice crunchy texture contrast.
This relish only takes a few minutes to make and can be frozen for up to 3 months, which makes it a great recipe to prepare ahead of time for parties.
- 12 ounces (340 grams) cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 medium orange
- 1 small apple (Honeycrisp or pink lady are especially good choices)
- 1/3 cup (78 milliliters) sugar
- Grate the zest of the orange. Put the zest and the juice of the orange into a food processor along with the sugar, allspice, and cranberries.
- For the next step, it is actually easiest to use frozen cranberries. Simply process for 10 - 15 seconds until the berries are chopped and thoroughly combined with the sugar and orange. They should be in very small pieces, but not reduced to a mushy paste.
- If you are working with fresh cranberries, pulse them with the orange and sugar in the food processor a few times. Remember that you are not trying to puree them, just turn them into a chopped relish.
- Peel and core the apple. Cut it into small slivers about as wide and half as long as a matchstick (a short julienne), or into 1/4-inch cubes.
- Combine the chopped apple with the other ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer to storage containers and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. For longer storage, pack into freezer containers leaving an inch of headspace. Cover and freeze for up to 4 months.
To use frozen cranberry relish, let it thaw in the refrigerator (about 2 hours for a pint-size container). Toss to recombine the juices with the fruit before serving.
- Serve alongside Brussels sprouts, green beans, and other classic holiday side dishes.
- Toss with slices of fresh pear or orange sections for a festive salad.
- Combine with chopped ham for a lunch dish.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|