|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||14%|
|Total Carbohydrate 82g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 19g||69%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Ever wonder what to do with all those nutritious beet greens after you're done eating the yummy beets? Beet greens make for the base of a very lovely salad. In this recipe, beet greens and fresh herbs come together with an all-natural, raw vegan vinaigrette made with balsamic vinegar and mustard, sweetened with a touch of raw agave nectar.
When making this salad, allow your greens to marinate in the dressing for a while. The leaves will soften up and become even more digestible. However, if you find that the taste of beet greens is too bitter for you, then use a blend of the greens and your choice of lettuce, such as butter lettuce or regular romaine, for this recipe.
Beet greens are very rich in calcium as well as many other minerals and vitamins. Let this salad recipe be the start of a lovely new trend in your raw vegan experience.
- 6 cups beet greens (sliced into 1/2-inch strips)
- 1/4 cup basil (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup parsley (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (cold-pressed)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic (pressed or minced)
- 1 teaspoon stone-ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon nama shoyu
- 1 tablespoon raw agave nectar
- 1 medium tomato (chopped)
- 1/2 cucumber (quartered and chopped)
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives (sliced)
Gather the ingredients.
First, place the beet greens in a mixing bowl together with the fresh basil and parsley, and gently toss to combine.
Next, prepare the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, mustard, nama shoyu, and agave nectar until well combined. Alternately, you can place everything in a mason jar and shake it all up to combine well.
Once your dressing is prepared, pour the dressing over the greens and gently toss until all of the greens are evenly coated.
Serve your dressed beet greens topped with the tomato, cucumber and olives.
- Want to add even more flavor and texture to your beet green salad? Here are a few raw vegan salad ingredients you might consider: shredded beets (try using a cheese grater for thin raw beet shreds), a handful of sunflower seeds or hemp nuts, or a handful of sprouts.