A raw vegan flax bread recipe made with flaxseeds and sunflower seeds, this raw version of classic Italian focaccia bread is as comforting, delicious and prone to overeating as the original. The flavor is a 'live' ringer and goes great with salads and raw soups. You need a dehydrator to ensure that it stays really raw, but if you have an oven that can be set to "warming" temperatures below 115°F, you can use that as well and it will probably save you some time. Either brown or golden flax works for this recipe but the golden flax delivers a more bread-like color.
- 1 cup flax seeds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 cups yellow onion (quartered)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato (chopped)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons nama shoyu (or substitute 1 teaspoon sea salt)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary (fresh)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (fresh)
- Place the flax seeds and sunflower seeds in a food processor fitted with the S-blade.
- Process them on high speed for about 30 seconds or until they are finely ground (as close to a flour-like consistency as possible).
- Add the remaining ingredients and process for about 10 seconds or until a rather chunky batter forms.
- Spread the batter evenly over a Teflex-lined dehydrator tray.
- Dehydrate at 115°F for 12 hours, flip over and remove the Teflex sheet.
- Continue dehydrating for another 12 hours or until the bread is dried all the way through and has a slightly harder outer layer.
- Cut into 12 pieces (3 rows X 4 rows) and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Like exploring unusual and creative raw vegan recipes? Here are some more raw vegan recipes to browse through, from the simple to the gourmet:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|