There are so many ways to make a raw vegan salad, but this one, with a cucumber base is a great alternative to lettuce-based salads and it makes a fresh, hydrating, nutritious raw food dish. This dressing is very similar to green papaya salad dressing that you get at Thai food restaurants. The sweet and sour zip is a bit addictive. Make sure to zest the limes before you squeeze them for their juice. If you need to, you can substitute soy sauce or tamari for the Bragg's but the flavor is definitely enhanced by one of these rather than salt alone.
Are you loving raw vegan salads? Here's a whole collection of raw food salads to try. Enjoy!
- 2 large cucumbers (peeled, de-seeded, and julienned)
- 1/2 bell pepper (red, julienned)
- 1 carrot (peeled and shredded)
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice (freshly squeezed, about 4 limes)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons agave nectar (raw)
- 1 clove garlic (minced well)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Bragg's liquid aminos
- Pinch sea salt (or to taste)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño
- Optional: 2 teaspoons minced mint
Place the julienned veggies in a mixing bowl and toss.
Whisk the remaining ingredients together until unified. Pour over the veggies and toss again. (You can also use a mini food processor to blend the dressing and save yourself the mincing time, but blenders usually won't handle such small quantities.)
It's nice to let the salad marinate in the refrigerator for a while before serving, tossing occasionally.