Raw vegan vegetable broth or soup stock is one way to add character and depth to your raw food recipes. Creating depth of flavor is essential in raw food preparation. Try using this raw soup stock or vegetable broth whenever a savory recipe calls for water and enjoy the added complexity of the dish. Flax crackers, sauces, pates, marinades and many more recipes call for some amount of water. Play around with an assortment of flavors in your stock. Ingredients such as cabbage, tomatoes or parsley will add a very powerful and distinct taste that will not go with every dish, while carrot and celery will work with almost anything.
- 4 cups water (filtered water is perfect but you can also replace up to 1 cup with the juice of carrots, celery, or any other vegetable you choose)
- 4 cups assorted vegetables (chopped small, carrots, celery, yellow or red onion, green onion, leeks, shiitake or cremini mushrooms, cabbage, broccoli, asparagus, corn, bell peppers, chile peppers, tomatoes)
- Optional: 1 to 2 cloves garlic
- Optional: 1/4 cup fresh herbs (such as parsley, cilantro, sage, tarragon, marjoram, thyme, oregano or basil)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- Optional: 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- Optional: 2 bay leaves
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or 1 teaspoon unpasteurized miso paste, 1 teaspoon nama shoyu, 1 tablespoon minced sea vegetable such as dulse, kelp, wakame or hijiki)
Choose your desired ingredients from the list of suggestions above and mix them all together in a large glass jar or a mixing bowl.
You can place the mix in the dehydrator and warm it up to 145°F or, if you don't have a dehydrator, heat the ingredients over very low heat until just warm to the touch. Either way, cover and let sit for up to an hour before refrigerating overnight.
Strain the food matter out with a cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer (the less food particles left in the water, the longer the stock will last).
You may wish to allow the stock to warm to room temperature before using. This stock also makes a satisfying substitute for water!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|