This simple pate recipe is versatile in a raw food diet. You can use this tasty dish as a spread, dip, filling for a wrap, side dish with a salad or as a quick snack straight off the spoon! The taste of raw soaked walnuts, rinsed of all their dust, tannins, and strong bitter flavor, is such a delight! This recipe is easy to play around with. Try different flavors by using other herbs (sage, cilantro, dill), adding vegetables (carrots, broccoli, bell peppers), using different nuts (almonds, macadamia) or other cold-pressed oils (avocado, macadamia, sesame). If you need to use dry herbs, cut the measurements in half.
- 2 cups walnuts, soaked for 1 to 2 hours
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, or to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon Nama Shoyu, or to taste
- 2 to 4 tablespoons water, or raw vegan soup stock, if necessary
- Place all of the ingredients together in a food processor.
- Process on high speed until a smooth puree consistency is achieved. If you need to add a little water, start with a tablespoon and work your way up slowly.
- Let it sit for about 20 minutes before tasting. The flavor enhances as the ingredients have time to meld together. This is when its best to add additional seasoning. If you find the pate too flavorful you can also try adding a little more oil or nutritional yeast, some vegetables (like broccoli, carrots, or bell peppers), or even some more nuts if you have some.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||23 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|