|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 40g||51%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||66%|
|Total Carbohydrate 36g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||22%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Chicken and dumplings, one of America's most popular comfort foods, is super easy to prepare and cook in the crock pot or slow cooker. Condensed soups and refrigerated biscuits make this slow cooker version nearly effortless. To make this hearty dish, all you have to do is combine everything in the slow cooker and press a button! The biscuits are sliced and added about an hour before the dish is done, so hands-on prep time is only about 10 to 15 minutes.
A bowl of chicken and dumplings is hearty enough on its own, but several side dishes can complement the dish and add texture and variety to the meal. Add a tossed salad or fresh sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. Or offer roasted Brussels sprouts or potatoes, steamed broccoli, or green beans. Even though the biscuits have the bread serving covered, many people love to eat cornbread with chicken and dumplings.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 16 ounces refrigerated biscuits, 8-count can
Gather the ingredients.
Arrange the chicken breasts in the bottom of a 6-quart crock pot and then top with the onion, celery, garlic, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, thyme, poultry seasoning, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
Combine the chicken broth and condensed soup in a bowl; stir until well blended and then pour evenly over the chicken and vegetables in the crock pot. Cover the crock pot and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or until the chicken is cooked to at least 165 F.
Meanwhile, separate the canned biscuits; flatten them, and cut them into strips.
Add the defrosted vegetables to the pot; stir to blend the ingredients and then taste and adjust the seasonings. Arrange the biscuit strips over the stew mixture. Quickly replace the lid and continue to cook on high for 1 more hour. The dumplings will fluff up a bit, but this type of dumpling will be doughy, not fluffy like biscuit-style drop dumplings.
To serve the chicken and dumplings, remove the chicken breasts and shred or chop them. Return the chicken to the crock pot, ladle the chicken and dumplings into bowls, and serve.
- When adding the thawed vegetables and biscuit strips, replace the lid as quickly as possible. If the chicken mixture cools down too much, it will take longer to cook the dumpling.
- You may double the recipe by doubling all ingredients except the biscuits/dumplings, but make sure your slow cooker is large enough. An oval 6- to 8-quart slow cooker should be large enough. As a general rule, half to two-thirds full is perfect—try to keep the level no higher than three-quarters full.
- The chicken breasts may be replaced with boneless chicken thighs or use a combination of the two.
- You can use homemade biscuits to make the recipe. Just cut the biscuits out, roll or press them to flatten, and cut them into slices.
- For fewer dumplings, use a 10-ounce can of biscuits (5 biscuits).
How to Store and Freeze Chicken and Dumplings
- Refrigerate leftover chicken and dumplings in a shallow covered container for up to 4 days.
- Freeze cooled leftover chicken and dumplings in an airtight freezer container or zip-close freezer bags for up to 3 months. Defrost the chicken and dumplings in the refrigerator overnight.
- Reheat chicken and dumplings on the stovetop or in the microwave oven. The minimum safe temperature for leftovers is 165 F.
Can you put raw chicken in a slow cooker?
Yes, it is safe to cook raw chicken and meat in a slow cooker. Both low and high settings are high enough to kill any bacteria.
Can you overcook dumplings in a slow cooker?
This type of dumpling may be cooked a bit longer, though they might break down if cooked for a very long time. The dumplings fluff up a bit but are somewhat doughy, which is normal for Southern-style chicken and dumplings. If you're looking for a fluffy bread-like dumpling, take a look at this recipe for Instant Pot chicken and dumplings.