This peach crisp recipe can be made in two individual-size (1-cup) ramekins, but you can use any small baking dish.
It's a great way to use up less-than-perfect fruit and it's easy to make and it bakes quickly. Double, triple or quadruple the ingredient proportions for a larger yield.
- For the Peaches:
- 2 large peaches (see Note below)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar (white)
- 2 teaspoons flour (all-purpose)
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest (grated)
- For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup oatmeal (quick cooking)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- Dash salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (unsalted, plus more for buttering baking dishes)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon almonds (blanched, slivered)
Prepare the Peaches
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Peel and slice the peaches, then cut the slices into two or three pieces. You should have about 1 1/2 cups.
- Place peach slices in a small bowl and add 1 tablespoon white sugar, 2 teaspoons flour, and 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest. Taste for sweetness and add more sugar if necessary. Toss gently.
- Pour into two buttered 1- to 1 1/2-cup ramekins or into a small baking dish that holds about 2 cups.
Make the Topping and Bake
- In a small bowl, mix together the oatmeal, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, cardamom, cinnamon, and salt.
- With a pastry cutter or a large fork, cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Add the almonds, if using. (You can do this in a mini food processor if you have one. Don't overprocess.)
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the peaches.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and the peaches are bubbling. Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Note: Feel free to substitute other fruit—plums or pears work well—or frozen fruit. If you use apples, it works best to sauté them for 10 minutes or so in a little butter before baking; otherwise, the apples don't cook through by the time the topping is baked.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||27 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||11 g|