This fresh marinara sauce recipe is spiked with sweet red bell peppers. It's a great all-purpose sauce to use for all your favorite pasta dishes. You can experiment with all types of hot and sweet fresh peppers in the recipe for a variety of delicious results.
- 2 28 ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 can/6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 red bell peppers (cored, seeded, and cut in 1/2-inch dice)
1. In a large bowl, crush the whole tomatoes with your fingers to form a course puree.
2. Stir in the tomato paste, salt, pepper flakes, sugar, basil, and parsley, and set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until the onions begin to soften.
4. Add the garlic and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes (do not brown the garlic).
5. Add the tomato mixture, and simmer over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the bell peppers, and simmer until the peppers are tender. Taste and adjust seasoning.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|