We used golden raisins in the pictured salad, but regular raisins may be used as well, and instead of pecans, make it with walnuts or sunflower seeds. See the tips and variations below the recipe for more add-in and substitution ideas and how to toast the pecans.
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 small head red cabbage, finely chopped or thinly sliced or shredded
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped or thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 4 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Combine 3/4 cup mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar; set aside.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the cabbage, onion, raisins, and pecans. Toss to blend; stir in the mayonnaise mixture. Add more mayonnaise, as needed.
- To toast the pecans, spread them out in a large dry skillet and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly until the pecans are aromatic and lightly browned.
- Turn this slaw into a low carb salad by omitting the raisins and using a sugar substitute.
- Taste and add more or less sugar, to suit your tastes.
- Replace the golden raisins with regular raisins.
- Add about 1/4 cup of crumbled cooked bacon.
- Replace the pecans with sunflower seeds or chopped walnuts.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|