|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 23g||30%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||17%|
|Total Carbohydrate 23g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|Total Sugars 16g|
|Vitamin C 25mg||123%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
In this slaw recipe, red cabbage is mixed with a sweet and tangy dressing, raisins, and pecans. Serve this flavorful red cabbage slaw at your next cookout or add it to your holiday dinner menu. It's versatile enough to go with burgers and hot dogs and alongside roasted meats. But this also works well other dishes, too, such as tacos, grilled salmon, and kebabs. Anywhere a meal would work well with a hit of something crunchy and tangy and fresh, you can serve this red cabbage salad.
This recipe calls for golden raisins in the salad, but regular raisins may be used if you'd like. Instead of pecans, make it with walnuts or sunflower seeds. See the tips and variations below the recipe for more add-in and substitution ideas and how to toast the pecans.
3/4 to 1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 small head red cabbage, finely chopped or thinly sliced or shredded
1 medium red onion, finely chopped or thinly sliced
3/4 cup golden raisins
4 tablespoons chopped pecans
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar; set aside.
In a large serving bowl, combine the cabbage, onion, raisins, and pecans and toss to blend.
Stir in the mayonnaise mixture. Add more mayonnaise, as needed.
Serve as a side for your next cookout, pulled pork dinner, or holiday dinner and enjoy.
- To toast the pecans, spread them out in a large dry skillet and place them over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly until the pecans are aromatic and lightly browned. Let them cool completely before handling them.
- Replace the golden raisins with regular raisins, or use dried cranberries for an even more red-colored salad.
- Add about 1/4 cup of cooked and crumbled bacon.
- Replace the pecans with sunflower seeds or chopped walnuts.
- White wine vinegar can be used instead of apple cider vinegar or, if you have it, champagne vinegar. The taste will be a little sweeter.
- Turn this slaw into a low carb salad by omitting the raisins and using a sugar substitute.
- Taste and add more or less sugar to suit your preferences. Or use honey instead of sugar for a slightly sweeter and more floral taste.
- Make this recipe vegan by opting for a vegan mayonnaise.
How to Store and Freeze Tangy Red Cabbage Slaw
This red cabbage slaw will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days. Keep in mind that the longer the cabbage sits in the fridge, the more water it will release and the soggier it will become. Freezing is not recommended.
Why Is My Coleslaw Sour?
If your slaw is sour, it's most likely that the acidic element—the vinegar—is out of balance with the other elements, such as the sweet. You can add more sugar if you like but if not, consider adding another tablespoon or so of raisins. On the flip side, if your slaw is too sweet, feel free to add a little more vinegar or even a little bit of lemon juice.