Nutritious red cabbage is flavored with cooked diced bacon, tart Granny Smith apples, and seasonings. Use turkey bacon to keep the dish low in fat.
I like caraway seeds in this dish but they can be left out if you aren't a fan. Also, the red wine can be replaced with more beef stock.
This cabbage makes a nice side dish to serve with pork chops or a pork loin roast. The cabbage would go well with steaks as well.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 pounds shredded red cabbage
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3 to 4 slices cooked bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup red wine, such as pinot noir or a cabernet
- 1/2 cup beef stock, unsalted or low sodium
- caraway seeds, about 2 teaspoons, optional
- kosher salt, to taste
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until softened, about three minutes.
- Add the garlic and cabbage, the vinegar, sugar, pepper, chopped apples, bacon, wine, and beef broth.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat, and cover.
- Continue cooking for 30 to 45 minutes until cabbage is tender.
- Taste and add caraway seeds and salt, as desired.
Tips and Variations
- A mandoline makes shredding cabbage and other slicing tasks super easy. Or use a food processor with the slicing disk.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|