|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||4%|
|Total Carbohydrate 20g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Nutritious red cabbage is flavored with cooked diced bacon, tart Granny Smith apples, and seasonings. Use turkey bacon to keep the dish low in fat.
I like caraway seeds in this dish but they can be left out if you aren't a fan. Also, the red wine can be replaced with more beef stock.
This cabbage makes a nice side dish to serve with pork chops or a pork loin roast. The cabbage would go well with steaks as well.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 pounds shredded red cabbage
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3 to 4 slices cooked bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup red wine, such as pinot noir or a cabernet
- 1/2 cup beef stock, unsalted or low sodium
- caraway seeds, about 2 teaspoons, optional
- kosher salt, to taste
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cabbage, the vinegar, sugar, pepper, chopped apples, bacon, wine, and beef broth. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat, cover, and continue cooking for 30 to 45 minutes, until cabbage is tender.
- Taste and add caraway seeds and salt, as desired.
Tips and Variations
A mandoline makes shredding cabbage and other slicing tasks super easy. Or use a food processor with the slicing disk.
You Might Also Like