|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 cocktail (1 serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||2%|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||31%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Due to its association with fancy events, particularly in Hollywood, there are many "red carpet" cocktail recipes floating around. Varying greatly, the red color is typically all that they have in common. In this particular recipe, you'll find a super-smooth vodka, Campari, and a good dose of pomegranate.
The recipe came from Oval Vodka, an Austrian vodka that is difficult to find in the U.S. but so clean that it's like drinking water. the drink made its debut at the star-studded events of the 2008 Academy Awards and is a pretty impressive drink you might want to mix up for an Oscar viewing party.
The cocktail pairs vodka (choose any top-shelf brand) with Campari. The bitterness of the aperitif is then offset with pomegranate liqueur and a little simple syrup. It offers a complex taste that's slightly fruity and rather beautiful, definitely putting a unique twist on the average pomegranate martini.
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the vodka, Campari, pomegranate liqueur, and simple syrup.
Garnish with a lemon slice.
Serve and enjoy!
- For the pomegranate liqueur, choose a premium option that matches the quality of the vodka and Campari. Look for brands like Bols, Drillaud, Gabriel Boudier, Fair, Pama, and Pocheta.
- Simple syrup can be found at a variety of stores, though it's very easy to make yourself and doing so can save money. Homemade simple syrup requires nothing more than sugar and water. It can be made on the stovetop or, if you're in a pinch for time, simply shaken up.
- This recipe originally included 1 ounce of pomegranate juice. Considering that there's already a liqueur of that flavor and the juice is very thick, that has been removed because it was simply too much and did not add dimension. The liqueur alone creates a well-balanced drink, but feel free to bring the juice back to see which version you enjoy most.
- Try a flavored vodka, such as citrus or vanilla in this cocktail. Pomegranate vodkas are a way to double up on that flavor and a lighter option than the juice.
- It can also be made with gin or whiskey, if you prefer. Gin is a natural companion for Campari (e.g., Negroni) and a good pairing for pomegranate. Likewise, whiskey and Campari are found in cocktails like the Boulevardier; the fruit is a nice bridge between the two flavors.