This potato salad is made with red potatoes and a delicious mayonnaise and sour cream dressing. Red and green onions and celery add crunch to this classic salad, and hard-boiled eggs add some protein and extra flavor.
Low starch red potatoes hold up well for salads, but round whites, new potatoes, or similar low starch "waxy" potatoes may be used as well.
- 1 1/2 pounds red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion (scallions)
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sour cream, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the potatoes or leave them unpeeled. Cut off any bruised or damaged parts or eyes.
- Cut the potatoes into bite-size chunks and put in a medium saucepan. Cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and boil for about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are just tender. Drain and let stand with the cover ajar to cool.
- Meanwhile, put the eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring the eggs to a full boil over medium-high heat. Cover the pan, remove the eggs from the heat, and let them stand for about 15 to 17 minutes (less if you like moister yolks). Do not remove the cover.
- Drain the eggs and run cool water over them. When they are cool enough to handle peel, chop them.
- Put the cooled potatoes in a large bowl with the chopped eggs, celery, red and green onion. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Combine the mayonnaise, white vinegar, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Gently stir the mayonnaise mixture into the potato mixture until well blended.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||36 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|