|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 to 2|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 9g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 9g|
|Vitamin C 9mg||47%|
The red snapper is one of the best-known drink recipes to feature Crown Royal Canadian Whisky. It should not be confused with the classic gin-based bloody Mary, which goes by this name as well. No, this is a popular shooter that can be enjoyed as a cocktail as well, and it is so sweet and delicious that it can easily become a favorite drink.
In this recipe, you'll simply shake the smooth whisky with amaretto and cranberry juice. The liquors are poured equally at one part each and the juice is two parts, so it's as easy to remember as it is tasty. As a shot, the recipe is designed to be shared between two people, or you can sip it slowly as a fruity mixed drink.
1 ounce Canadian whisky
1 ounce amaretto liqueur
2 ounces cranberry juice
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the whisky, amaretto, and cranberry juice.
Strain into two shot glasses or one old-fashioned glass. Serve and enjoy.
- This recipe makes a 4 1/2-ounce drink, which is double the average shot, so it's best to split it between two glasses. For a single shot, cut all of the ingredients in half or pour it into a larger glass.
- Crown Royal makes a number of Canadian whisky expressions. The "Deluxe" bottle is the flagship, and the original whisky produced by the brand. It's the one you'll most likely want to use for the shot because it's the least expensive. They do make affordable flavored versions as well; the apple, peach, and vanilla would be tasty in the red snapper.
- This recipe can also be served as a tall, refreshing highball drink. Crown Royal recommends pouring a 1 1/4-ounce shot of whisky, 1/4 ounce of amaretto, and 6 ounces of cranberry juice. Adjust this to suit your taste—a full 1 1/2-ounce shot of both spirits makes a fine drink—and serve it over ice.
- Make it a sparkling drink by splitting the cranberry juice with lemon-lime soda. Sprite is a favorite pairing for Crown Royal, and it's also nice with the amaretto-cranberry juice combo.
- Another popular and similar Crown Royal-based drink is called the royal flush. The recipe pours a shot of the whisky with 1/4 ounce of peach schnapps and 3 ounces of cranberry juice. While it's often served on the rocks, you can also serve it as a shot.
- Similarly, the fuzzy Jäger cranberry shot pours peach schnapps and cranberry juice, though that recipe uses Jägermeister as the base.
How Strong Is a Red Snapper Shot?
This is not the strongest shot you can mix up. In fact, it's surprisingly light and that's due to all the cranberry juice. Its alcohol content will be around 14 percent ABV (28 proof), or about the same as a strong whiskey and Coke. That said, a few rounds will add up, and you'll run the risk of a nasty hangover in the morning.