This delicious red velvet cake was shared on our forum. The old-fashioned cooked custard frosting is a classic frosting for this cake but many people prefer a cream cheese frosting. Or top it with your favorite vanilla frosting.
Bake the cake in 2 or 3 layers.
- For the Red Velvet Cake:
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 1/2 oz red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoons vinegar
- For the Old-Fashioned Custard Frosting:
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Red Velvet Cake
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Grease and flour three 8-inch round cake pans or two 9-inch pans.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup of shortening with the 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, combine the cocoa and food coloring; mix to form a paste. Add the mixture to the creamed mixture and beat until blended.
- In another bowl combine the 1 teaspoon of salt and 2 1/2 cups of flour.
- Put the buttermilk in a measuring cup and add the 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter, alternating with the buttermilk and vanilla mixture, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl or cup, sprinkle the soda over the vinegar; pour it over the batter. Stir until thoroughly mixed — do not beat.
- Spread the batter in the prepared cake pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the cake bounces back when touched lightly in the center with a finger. Remove to racks to cool completely before assembling and frosting.
Old-Fashioned Custard Frosting
- In a small saucepan, whisk the milk with 1/4 cup of flour until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream the 1/2 cup of shortening and 1/2 cup of butter until smooth. Beat in the confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla until smooth.
- Beat in the cooked milk and flour mixture until light and fluffy.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||47 g|
|Saturated Fat||19 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||19 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|