This red velvet cake recipe is modern and easy. With a nice added crunch of chopped pecans its sure to be a favorite among family and friends.
- 1 box white cake mix (2-layer size)
- 1 box instant vanilla pudding mix (4-serving size)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (for topping)
Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4)
Combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, cocoa, vinegar, milk, oil, and food coloring; beat for 4 minutes on medium speed, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl several times.
Grease and flour three 8-inch round cakes pans. Distribute the batter among the pans evenly.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched in the center.
Cool the cake on racks.
Beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth and light. Add vanilla and confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth.
Spread frosting over layers and sides, sprinkling each layer with chopped pecans.