This quick, easy recipe was given to me by a friend's mom. I always thought it was an old treasured recipe that had been handed down. I never knew until she gave me this that it a modern and easy!
- 1 box white cake mix (2-layer size)
- 1 box instant vanilla pudding mix (4-serving size)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (for topping)
Heat the oven to 350° F (180° C/Gas 4).
Combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, cocoa, vinegar, milk, oil, and food coloring; beat for 4 minutes on medium speed, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl several times.
Grease and flour three 8-inch round cakes pans. Distribute the batter among the pans evenly.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched in the center.
Cool the cake on racks.
Beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth and light. Add vanilla and confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth.
Spread frosting over layers and sides, sprinkling each layer with chopped pecans.