Good news, red velvet lovers! Now you can enjoy the taste of your favorite cake in hot chocolate form. This rich, creamy Red Velvet Hot Chocolate drink has all the flavors of red velvet cake, and best of all, it's topped with cream cheese whipped cream!
Recipe notes: the hot chocolate calls for cream cheese in the hot chocolate. This is optional, and it does add an extra step, so feel free to skip it if you’re in a rush. However, I think it adds a nice subtle tang that real red velvet cake gets from buttermilk. It also makes the hot chocolate even thicker and richer, which is nice. I also recommend using gel food coloring as opposed to liquid food coloring (Wilton’s and Americolor are two recommended brands.) You’ll get a strong red color without using as much food coloring as liquid would require.
- For the Red Velvet Hot Chocolate:
- Optional: 2 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 8 ounces white chocolate chips (or chopped white chocolate)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 drops red food coloring (or more; gel coloring recommended)
- For the Cream Cheese Whipped Cream:
- 2 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (chilled)
To Make the Red Velvet Hot Chocolate:
- If you are using the cream cheese, combine it with a cup of milk in a blender and blend until smooth. (If you have a stick blender, you can just combine them in a medium saucepan and blend until no lumps of cream cheese remain.)
- Add the remaining hot chocolate ingredients, except for the food coloring, and combine everything in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Warm up the drink, whisking occasionally, until the white chocolate melts, the cocoa powder blends into the liquid, and the drink is creamy and smooth.
- Add a few drops of red food coloring and whisk them in. Continue to add coloring until you get a deep, rich red that you like.
- This is a rich drink, so serve Red Velvet Hot Chocolate in small mugs and top with a dollop of Cream Cheese Whipped Cream!
To Make the Cream Cheese Whipped Cream:
- Combine the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (a hand mixer with a whisk attachment can also be used).
- Whip the cream cheese on medium speed until it is smooth and free of lumps. With the mixer running, slowly stream in the cream and continue to whip until the cream cheese forms firm peaks.
- The cream cheese stabilizes and thickens the whipped cream, so it’s great for scooping and piping on your hot chocolate! Add a scoop to your hot chocolate mug, and top with a few red sprinkles, if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||43 g|
|Saturated Fat||27 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|