This is the perfect salad for your Fourth of July celebration or any summer cookout or gathering. Small firm potatoes and chopped hard-boiled eggs make this a delicious potato salad, and the colorful potatoes make it attractive and festive.
This version is made with a combination of mayonnaise and sour cream. Chopped fresh dill and dill relish flavor the dressing perfectly. Feel free to use new potatoes or all one color if you prefer.
- 3 pounds mixed color small potatoes, with Peruvian (purple), small red, and small white or new potatoes
- 1 cup diced celery
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3/4 to 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dill relish
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Scrub potatoes and trim any bruises and other imperfections. Cut into 1/2- to 1-inch pieces.
- Rinse the potatoes and put them in a saucepan; cover with water and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring the potatoes to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and continue cooking for about 15 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain and let the potatoes cool slightly in the pan with the cover ajar.
- In a large bowl, combine the warm or cooled potatoes with the diced celery, chopped egg, and onion.
- In another bowl combine 3/4 cup of the mayonnaise with the sour cream, dill, dill relish, pepper, and salt; blend well.
- Gently stir the mayonnaise mixture into the potato mixture until the potatoes and vegetables are coated. Add more mayonnaise, if needed.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, as needed.
- Potatoes will absorb more of the dressing if they're dressed while still warm.
- New potatoes, red-skinned potatoes, round whites, and other waxy potatoes hold their shape well when they're cooked, making them the best choice for salads.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||33 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|