This delicious, refreshing gazpacho is chock full of tomatoes and garden-fresh vegetables. It takes some time to peel the tomatoes and chop the vegetables, but preparation is very easy.
I like some texture in my gazpacho, so I process about one-third of the vegetable and seasoning until smooth, and then I add the remaining vegetables to the blender and pulse a few times. If you like a smoother gazpacho, process the vegetables and juice all at once.
For the very best flavor, chill the gazpacho for a few hours before serving.
- 3 large tomatoes (fresh, or about 4 medium tomatoes)
- 1 large cucumber (seeded and chopped)
- 1/2 cup bell pepper (green, chopped)
- 1/2 cup bell pepper (red, chopped)
- 1/2 cup onion (sweet, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper (minced)
- 1 small clove garlic (finely minced, or about 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder)
- 1 cup tomato juice (or V-8 vegetable juice)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lime (juiced, or about 2 to 3 tablespoons lime juice)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander (ground)
- 1 teaspoon salt (kosher)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- Garnish: green onion (thinly sliced, or chopped fresh cilantro or parsley)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water. Set aside.
- Cut an "X" in the bottom of each tomato and lower them into the boiling water with a slotted spoon or tongs. Boil the tomatoes for about 20 seconds and then remove to and immediately drop them into the ice water. Let stand for a few minutes.
- Starting at the "X," slip the skins off of the tomatoes. Using a sharp knife, cut the core out of each tomato. Slice the tomatoes in half crosswise and scoop out the seeds.
- Chop the tomatoes and transfer them to a large bowl.
- Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise. With a spoon, scrape the seeds out of the cucumber. Chop the cucumber.
- Add the chopped cucumber to the bowl with the tomatoes along with the chopped green bell pepper, red bell pepper, onion, jalapeno pepper, garlic, tomato juice, olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, coriander, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well.
- Transfer about one-third of the tomato and vegetable mixture to the blender container. Process until the mixture is smooth. Add the remaining tomato and vegetable mixture to the blender and pulse about 4 to 6 times, or until the gazpacho reaches the desired texture.
- Chill thoroughly.
- Serve in bowls or cups with a garnish of thinly sliced green onion tops or fresh chopped parsley or cilantro.
- Some other possible garnishes include prepared pesto, croutons, chopped cooked shrimp, olive oil drizzle.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|