These great tasting rolls are made with mashed potatoes for amazing texture. The overnight refrigeration enhances the flavor, and it can be convenient for holiday baking. Just shape the dough and pop the rolls in the oven shortly before dinnertime.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (cooled)
- 1 1/2 cups milk (room temperature)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for kneading)
- 1 large egg (whisked with 1 tablespoon of water for egg wash)
- Optional: 1/4 cup sesame seeds (or poppy seeds)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, butter, salt, potatoes, milk, and eggs and beat on low speed until blended.
- Combine the yeast with the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Add to the first mixture and mix until the dough holds together.
- Knead for 8 to 10 minutes, adding more flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking to the bowl or kneading surface.
- Grease a large bowl generously with butter. Gather the dough into a ball and put in the bowl. Turn so all sides are coated with butter.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes at room temperature. Refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, take the dough out of the refrigerator and let it rest for 1 to 2 hours to take the chill off.
- For pan rolls*, butter two 13x9x2-inch baking pans or line with parchment paper. Or use your choice of muffin pans or baking sheets for other shapes.
- Separate the dough into 48 pieces for pan rolls. Shape into smooth taut balls and place in the prepared baking pans. (24 rolls in each pan). Cover the pans with a lightweight kitchen towel and place in a warm, draft-free place for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until the rolls have nearly doubled in bulk.
- Heat the oven to 375° F.
- Remove the towels. If using an egg wash, mix the large egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Lightly brush over the rolls and sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds, if desired.
- Bake the rolls for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|