|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 29g||38%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||42%|
|Total Carbohydrate 10g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||9%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Reshmi is an Indian word that means "silk." This is an apt description for these silky-textured, delicious chicken kababs that are a traditional Mughlai dish prepared in India.
Reshmi kabab gets its name from the juicy succulence of the meat added to the skewers. The meat gets this texture thanks to the marinade in which it is soaked.
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 cup coriander (fresh)
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 dash salt (to taste)
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1/2 cup yogurt (fresh, unsweetened, and should not be sour)
- 2 1/4 pounds/1 kilogram chicken (boneless, cut into 2-inch cubes)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter or vegetable cooking oil
Gather the ingredients.
Soak the almonds in hot water for 10 minutes to loosen the skins.
Press each almond between your thumb and index finger so the skin splits and can be removed.
In a food processor, mix the almonds, coriander, onion, ginger, and garlic pastes and grind to form a smooth paste. Add salt to taste, then lemon juice and mix well.
In a large bowl, pour the paste and yogurt over the chicken and mix well to coat all the pieces. Cover and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
Put the marinated chicken pieces on skewers and grill. Lightly brush with oil to prevent sticking.
- Traditionally, chicken, beef, or lamb meat is used for these kababs. Prawns or scallops are good substitutes as well.
- Add green chilies, a couple of serrano peppers with the seeds, or add red pepper flakes; these should be included via food processor.
- If you're making a curry that involves fresh chilies, you can add a spicier variety of chili to that so you don't affect the overall flavor of the dish. You can also scrape the inside of the chili and add only the seeds for a more subtle spiciness. Otherwise, you can always add chili powder or cayenne pepper.