|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 7g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Vitamin C 18mg||91%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
It should be rather obvious that the Rhett Butler cocktail is named after the classic figure from "Gone With the Wind." It doesn't stop here, there is also a Scarlet O'Hara cocktail and both have the smooth, sweet base of Southern Comfort.
It's interesting to see that the gentleman's tribute drink is a little more of a sour drink than the sweet cranberry of the Southern belle's cocktail. Both are great drinks, especially if you have a bottle of SoCo around, and the pair are perfect for a party's feature drink menu.
2 ounces Southern Comfort
1/2 ounce orange curaçao liqueur
1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
Lemon twist, for garnish
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker, pour the Southern Comfort, orange curaçao, and lemon and lime juices. Fill with ice.
Garnish with a lemon twist. Serve and enjoy.
- Freshly squeezed citrus juices will make a better Rhett Butler cocktail. For the lime, squeeze the juice of half a lime into the shaker; the lemon will require a little less juice than what half the fruit yields.
- Though orange curaçao is often used in this cocktail, you can use other light orange liqueur options if you like. Triple sec is a great alternative, and premium brands are preferred for a well-balanced drink.
- Adjust the orange, lemon, and lime flavors to suit your taste. You might also want to adapt the recipe for a particular strength of Southern Comfort. For instance, with 100-proof SoCo, adding a little more juice may be a good choice to tame down the extra alcohol.
As you might imagine, the name Rhett Butler has been used a number of times for various cocktail recipes. They don't always agree, though this recipe is one of the more common versions you'll find.
- A few suggest replacing the two juices with 1/2 ounce of sour mix. This makes sense because the syrup is typically flavored with lemon and lime, though the extra sugar will result in a sweeter drink.
- Some recipes simply call for whiskey rather than the fruity whiskey blend of Southern Comfort. To keep the Southern charm, choose something regional like Tennessee whiskey or Kentucky bourbon (well-crafted moonshine would be appropriate as well). You'll also find that some of these use blue curaçao, so while the orange accent remains, the drink will be a completely different color.
How Strong Is a Rhett Butler Cocktail?
The Rhett Butler is the more robust of the two "Gone With the Wind" cocktails. That's rather fitting given the character's bolder personality. Yet, Southern Comfort is bottled at a variety of strengths: 100-proof, 70-proof, and 42-proof. Taking the middle ground, the drink shakes up to 21 percent ABV (42 proof). This places it in the realm of the vodka cosmopolitan and with 100-proof So Co, it becomes similar to the whiskey Manhattan.