This rhubarb Betty dessert is a rhubarb version of the classic apple brown Betty.
This rhubarb Betty is made with bread crumbs, butter, and fresh rhubarb. This is a great way to use fresh spring rhubarb. If your rhubarb is more green than red, feel free to add a bit of red food coloring. Or add some sliced fresh strawberries for their brighter color and flavor.
The recipe makes use of day-old fresh breadcrumbs, which is a money-saving bonus. Whenever you have day-old bread, process it in your food processor to make coarse or fine crumbs and freeze them for casserole toppings, meatloaf or meatballs, dressings, and desserts like this one.
- 3 pounds rhubarb stalks (6 cups chopped)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind (or orange rind)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups breadcrumbs (preferably soft white bread)
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Lightly butter a 1 1/2- quart or 2-quart baking dish.
- Chop the rhubarb and place it in a large bowl. Add the sugar, tapioca, lemon rind, and salt; set aside.
- Mix the bread crumbs with melted butter in another bowl and drizzle with vanilla; toss well.
- Fill the baking dish with alternating layers of the rhubarb mixture and breadcrumb mixture, starting with rhubarb layer on the bottom and finishing with a breadcrumb layer.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes longer, or until top is browned.
- Serve warm with a drizzling of fresh cream or a scoop of ice cream.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|